Monday, November 30, 2009

More baby showers and boy birthdays...



Here are a few photos of the last two cakes I did. The baby shower was for a small gathering of women, so I did an old family and home-town favorite cake called the Lemon Cloud. It is basically a sheet cake with an almond meringue top layer that is further topped with a layer of lemon curd infused whipped cream. I layered the cake into a 5"x5" square cake, with six layers of cake and five layers of curd whipped cream. I then wrapped the cake in dark chocolate fondant and topped it with fondant that I made to look like a baby blanket. The guest of honor is a huge Peanuts fan, so I incorporated Snoopy and Woodstock into the design by making them "gifts." All the structures were made of fondant, with the exception of the box, which was gum paste. I hand painted the foot prints on the box with food coloring and made a fondant ribbon to top the box lid. I then made cupcakes to go with the cake (a pregnant woman always needs a little bit more to eat, right?!), which were Red Velvet cupcakes with a cream-cheese icing. The lettering and flowers were also all done in homemade fondant.





I also had an order for a 6-year old boy's birthday cake, and like my own sons, this child LOVES Clone Wars and Star Wars. So the Clone Trooper was a quick and easy pick for this cake. The difficult part was deciding which version of the Clone Trooper to do --- I had no idea there were so many variations of them! Not like when I was a kid and all we had were the black and white Storm Troopers... =)  This cake was fun to do just to see my own kids' reactions to it when I was done. And it spawned an order for a Transformer cake, too, so I will post that one next week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment