Saturday, July 10, 2010

Eclipse

I did a cake today for an Eclipse party. Not an eclipse of the moon, but the Vampire series by Stephenie Meyer. The hostess asked if I could reproduce the book cover, so we decided to make the entire cake look like a book. Fortunately for me, she was happy with the audio book cover and I didn't have to attempt painting a human face like that on the paperback cover! I'm not a follower of this series (vampires freak me out!), so I had a little learning to do with the entire "team Edward" vs. "team Jacob" thing. She wanted that element incorporated in the design along with the names of all the woman attending the party who were celebrating birthdays. We agreed to have the women's names on the ribbon.  Below are pictures of the cake prior to adding those two elements and after I added them. The camera angle is a little off on some of these.... I was holding the camera over my head to get some of them!



The cake was a 9x13 rich chocolate cake with raspberry filling, covered in chocolate butter-cream frosting and chocolate fondant. The ribbon is mostly fondant, with a little gumpaste added in. I painted the names and the team names on with food coloring.

UPDATE:
Here is the email I got back from Keri, who hosted the party:
 
"Amy:
 
WONDERFUL CAKE, Everyone was so impressed with the cake!!!!  It make such an impact... a big WOW factor for the party.... If you get the bug and read the books let me know... next time you can join us.  Everything turned out great and while I hated to cut the cake... about half way through the crowd started screaming "cake cake cake cake".  It was really good!!!
 
Thanks, Keri"

No comments:

Post a Comment