Monday, July 5, 2010

Pirates Ahoy!

I had a call for pirate cupcakes for a 4th birthday party --- the younger brother to a school mate of my eldest son. I suggested a Jolly Roger cake like one I had done for a dear friend in Montreal (sorry - no digital photos of that one), and I figured it would transfer pretty easily to cupcakes. The issue was with black. Mom and birthday boy preferred chocolate on chocolate, so I had to incorporate black into at least half of the design. So, I went with the entire Jolly Roger flag instead of just the skull and crossbones, leaving a ragged and wavy appearance all around the flag edges to make it feel more tattered, like a well worn Jolly Roger! You can see from the side view that half the cupcakes were indeed chocolate and the rest were yellow cake. Everything was then covered in chocolate butter cream frosting, and I piped the white skull and crossbones design on and smoothed the icing down with a wet spoon.


Hope they all enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment