Sunday, October 4, 2009

Brianna's Purse

Brianna was a 13 year old girl whom I had never met. Her aunt hired me to do a cake for her birthday and said "she likes pink." I saw several purse cakes on-line and thought that a teenage girl may just like the idea. I got the approval from the aunt and went with it. Not being a purse carrier myself, I had a hard time deciding what style purse to make and came up with this design based on ease of constructing the cake. The 'simply chocolate' cake is covered in a chocolate butter-cream frosting and then covered with chocolate fondant. I used a raspberry glaze in between cake layers. I bought Satin Ices chocolate fondant and although it is expensive, it was delicious and very easy to work with. I since found a recipe that I use to make fondant, but for people who don't want to make it, I highly recommend this product! Everything on this cake is made of fondant - the cell phone, the lip stick, the change purse, the braided purse straps, the VISA gift card. Everything except the candy gold coins - my son thought I should use them, so I did.

The birthday girl was presented with the cake while opening presents. She asked her dad why he wrapped her purse in a cake box. He told her it was her cake, but she didn't believe him! So much so, that she would not let anyone cut into the cake for 3 days!!! Guess I was pretty convincing... =P

No comments:

Post a Comment